Golden Job Opening
Discover what it means to work at one of Colorado’s fastest growing companies, where progress begins with you. Baseline Engineering Corporation is striving to be the company of choice for employees and customers needing engineering, surveying, and planning services. We are currently seeking qualified individuals for a survey crew chief/project manager to work in our Golden, CO office.
Position Title: Survey Crew Chief/Project Manager
Reports To: Division Manager
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Golden, Colorado
Project Manager with responsibility for technical performance on small projects or designated tasks on large projects. Work requires application of standard surveying techniques and procedures, professional judgment to make modifications or execute complex features or solutions.
The successful candidate may be asked to review bid/proposal requests, estimate task durations for budgeting purposes, complete research, and quality check the work of others. S/he is also expected to provide assistance where possible in troubleshooting equipment issues, mentoring junior employees, and assisting with crew field work or CAD work.
- Directs, manages, and participates in the field production of topographic and boundary surveys, as well as other survey tasks.
- Maintain and operate GPS and conventional surveying instruments.
- Write and organize field notes.
- Read construction plans to ensure accurate area to be surveyed.
- Execute field staking and perform general surveying on projects.
- Works directly with clients and outside project participants on projects as directed.
- Operates company vehicles to transport team.
- Support Division Manager by assisting with price proposals, business development, and marketing in the Golden area.
- Using computer-based applications, such as Auto-CAD, the draftsman creates two-and-three dimensional renderings of the finished projects.
- Address plan revisions and comments, both internal and external.
- Interprets the vision of the design engineer and translates it into technical drawing.
- Prepare or direct preparation of client deliverables, ensure QA/QC process has been completed prior to deliverable going to the next level.
- Maintain high level of standard in survey work orders, control/datum setup.
- Hold existing clients in high regard and be ready to assist in finding solutions.
- After introductory period, grow to be able to gauge relative level of effort for projects, evaluate efficiency of field/office practices, and develop tools and practices for more efficient field/office work.
- Perform survey research, be able to read and write legal descriptions.
- Understand state and local survey rules and standards.
- Make surveying decisions, document rationale for training/back up purposes.
- Learn and perform research and other job-related tasks.
- Five years of field work experience
- Three years of CAD experience
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Experience in working towards deadlines
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently respond to changing priorities
- Post-secondary training in CAD programs is a plus
- General experience dealing directly with clients and managing projects is a plus
- Proficient with field equipment and standard field procedures is a plus
- The ability and knowledge to accurately and efficiently perform the following survey tasks including, but not limited to:
- Well connect pipeline surveys
- Well head staking
- Pipeline route staking and as-built surveys
- Construction staking
- Topographical surveys
- Boundary surveys
- ALTA surveys
- Proficient operation of Trimble GPS and Robotic Total Station, to include Trimble Field Software.
- Proficient operation of Auto and Digital Level equipment.
- Knowledge and ability to interpret engineering plans accurately.
- Perform field calculations to determine horizontal and vertical locations for needed data points.
Field Survey Crew Coordination:
- Direct and supervise work of subordinate members of surveying parties.
- Be able to gauge relative level of effort for projects, evaluate efficiency of field/office practices, and develop tools and practices for more efficient field/office work.
- Maintain: survey equipment, vehicles, batteries, and consumables inventory in storage and in vehicle.
- General survey knowledge related to public works, regional water pipeline systems & land development projects.
- Highly motivated with effective communication skills.
- Ability to lead, manage, train, and mentor others.
- Exhibits initiative, responsibility, and flexibility.
- Good math skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
Education or Formal Training:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- 2-year technical degree from accredited engineering/surveying curriculum preferred.
- 3+ years surveying experience required. Experience leading survey crews preferred. Valid driver’s license is required. AutoCAD/LDD knowledge/experience and construction observation experience preferred.
If required to work in the field, work is regularly performed for sustained periods outdoors and occasionally in hot, cold, or inclement weather.
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to walk, stand or sit; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands to repetitively finger, handle, feel or operate standard computers and other field and office equipment; reach with hands and arms.
While working in the office: Typically sit at a desk or table; occasionally lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects weighing up to 30 lbs. While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information, and documents; analyze and solve problems; use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new skills; perform highly detailed work on multiple concurrent tasks; and interact with staff and other organizations and supervisors, co-workers, inspectors and employees in other departments and others encountered in the course of work.
While working in the field: Regularly walk, stand or stoop. The employee is occasionally required to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Frequently lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects weighing up to 40 lbs. Use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity. Carry equipment up and down steep terrain. Walk, stand, crouch or run on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. May regularly drive a field truck and occasionally operate a rugged off-terrain vehicle.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Human Resources at email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Baseline is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin. We are dedicated to hiring qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified, protected veterans.