Steamboat Springs Job Opening
Discover what it means to work at one of Colorado’s fastest growing companies, where progress begins with you. Baseline Engineering Corporation is striving to be the company of choice for employees and customers needing engineering, surveying, and planning services. We are currently seeking a qualified project engineer to work in our Steamboat Springs, CO office.
Position Title: Construction Observer
Reports To: Division Manager
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: Steamboat Springs, CO
General Summary: A construction observer is involved in the observation of construction to ensure contract documents are followed. Duties will include inspection of work quality, materials, and workmanship used on a variety of public works and other construction projects, ensuring conformance with approved plans, specifications, and contract documents, maintaining records, preparation of project inspection reports, and may also include oversight and assignment of other inspection personnel.
- Monitor contractors’ work to ensure quality control and contract compliance for roadway, utility, sidewalk, structure, and other construction projects of moderate to considerable complexity.
- Read and interpret plan sets of moderate to considerable complexity.
- Be able to recognize basic construction or engineering problems; recommend changes to construction plans to meet field conditions.
- Frequent external contact with contractor personnel to schedule and coordinate project inspection and resolve problems.
- Frequent contact with clients, engineers, and surveyors to discuss and resolve field construction issues and to obtain technical guidance in specialty areas of engineering and inspections.
- Prepare daily observation reports.
- Tracking quantities and review of contractor pay applications.
- Review of contractor material submittals.
- AutoCAD drafting to address internal and external plan review comments.
- Deliver and pick up plans to and from clients and municipal entities.
- Preparing comment response letters and binding reports.
- Plan reproduction and assembly.
- Permit preparation.
- 5-7 years of experience as a construction inspector is preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
- Experience drafting in AutoCAD.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and ability to work remotely and communicate as part of a team.
- Must have the ability to recognize and re-prioritize direction and priorities from many different people.
Education or Formal Training:
- Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering or Construction Management preferred.
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to walk, stand or sit; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands to repetitively finger, handle, feel or operate standard computers and other field and office equipment; reach with hands and arms.
While working in the office: Typically sit at a desk or table; occasionally lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects weighing up to 30 lbs. While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new skills; perform highly detailed work on multiple concurrent tasks; and interact with staff and other organizations and supervisors, co-workers, inspectors and employees in other departments and others encountered in the course of work.
While working in the field: Regularly walk, stand or stoop. Occasionally required to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Frequently lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects weighing up to 40 lbs. Use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity. Carry equipment up and down steep terrain. Walk, stand, crouch or run on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces. Regularly drive a field truck/vehicle and occasionally operate a rugged off terrain vehicle. Exposure to normal and standard construction site environment; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, heat, cold, and inclement weather conditions when conducting field observations.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Baseline is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. We are dedicated to hiring qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified protected veterans.